Friday, March 17, 2017

Dinosaur Birthday

Hey ALL -

Birthday parties always seem to creep up for my family. Brody's is right after the Holidays and Beau's is shortly after Brody's. So I tried to plan ahead and we all were going to go to the zoo (since we just bought a zoo pass and it was opening wkend!!). Well weather happened typical to NE and decided to snow. So we re-planned the planned Birthday! Instead of the zoo. Ekkk kids are crying because they thought we were going to the zoo, so quick thoughts and creativity kicked in to compensate hurt feelings. We planned a weekend at home with dinosaur themed party activities and had the family over on Sunday!

So what do you do under the tight time line for party plans!!! The evening table saying goes, "USE WHAT YOU HAVE."

Party Weekend Agenda

• Bake & Decorate Dinosaur Cake
• Volcano Experiment
• Dig for Dinos Activity
• Dino /Fossil Cookies
• Party with Family Prep


Bake & Decorate Dinosaur Cake

Honestly I am all about do it yourself cakes. I don't even really like cake so why spend a fortune on it. Plus its fun to involve the kids and get down and dirty.

A little tip; if you look at the pictures of my dining room table I rolled wrapping paper over the top, easy clean up for messy kids.

Items Needed
• Chocolate Cake Mix
• Frosting
• Toppers, honestly we used dinos we already had in the toy box, with some fake trees, and M&M's for dino eggs and a picture of Mr. Beau.

Sorry it will not let me rotate the photo. You get the idea.

 





Volcano Experiment

Here is a photo of our homemade volcano. Sorry I can't rotate this pics.

Items Needed:
• Empty Plastic Bottled Water Container (we tried the plastic Folgers coffee can but it was too wide)
• Baking Soda
• White Vinegar
• Food Coloring
• Tin Foil
• Card Board for strips to hold tin and create the volcano shape.
• Tape to tape the card board down.

All you need to do is take your plastic bottle and I used card board & cut strips to make the volcano shape and wrapped with tin foil. You can Pinterest other creative ideas, but I am all about easy!

Definitely put something under the volcano to leak onto. I used a throw away fruit tray I had laying around. Then you just put some baking soda in the bottom of the bottle I just sprinkled it on the bottom. And I put some food coloring and vinegar in a cup and poured into the volcano on top of the soda and WOW it will erupt and kids will go wild crazy!!!

Dig for Dinos Activity

Items Needed:
• Plastic Dinosaurs laying in toy box
• Beans, Rice (I just grabbed a colorful assortment from the store, bags are only about $1 and I kept for later to do this again.
• spoon, forks, tools, little paint brushes, basting brush (I just found any utensil that would be fun for digging)
• Large old ice cream bucket or bowl

Put the dinosaurs on the bottom of a bowl. I told a dinosaur story while we started the project. Then poured all the different beans and rice. Give them tools to dig for dinos. They had a blast. And again roll wrapping paper over the top of the table, for easy clean up for messy kids.

Dino Fossil Cookies

Honestly this didn't really work, so I am not going to recommend. I just used store bought sugar cookie dough and we imprinted the cookies with toy dinosaurs. It was fun, but they didn't keep the indention on the cookie.

Party with Family Prep

For the party we made WALKING DINO TACOS

Items Needed:

• Frito Bags per guest (you can literally buy the full size which are not even that big and I cut them in half)
• Taco Meat
• All your favorite toppers!


BLAST Volcano

My husband created his own big bang experiment. We went outside and he used a diet coke liter and Mentos candy. Dropped the candy into the pop and watch it explode. Cool Cats!





DONE! So easy and kids had so much fun!! Parents did too.

       

No comments:

Post a Comment